Vol. 35, No. 1 January / March 2019  Issue Select 
Issue Details
Cover Title: The ARROW Norfolk and Western Historical Sociaty Magazine
Cover Subtitle: High Noon on the N&W: KenovaDistrict, Modeling Virginian's "JK" Tower, A Bad Day on the N&W
On the Cover: The Kenova District can be a series of conflicting scenes, some dark and drab in the Tug Fork valley, some bright in the lowlands along the Ohio River. Either way, it provided then as now a progression of many trains in varied scenery. The main thing an observer would have seen is the ongoing parade of Class A-powered trains. Here, just east of Kenova, is one of those trains in the beautiful spring like weather. Class A, number 1232, is leading what is likely 190 loads westbound on the way to Portsmouth, Ohio. She is westbound along the Big Sandy bluffs just west of Neal heading towards the crossing of the Ohio River at Kenova before dropping off to almost level track the rest of the way. May 30, 1958.


Image
Not
Found
Articles In This Issue
High Noon On the Norfolk and Western / Part Three: Kenova District - Glenn Fisher
  Photo What better place to open an article on the Kenova District than at Kenova itself? Photographer I. W. King had a splendid day at Kenova Union Station on May 30, 1958, just months before the end of steam on the Kenova District. His photos give us a great view of some of the action there. Top, the original Class A No. 1200 is leading a train of empties back to the mines. The Kenova depot features the beautiful yellow brick and a diamond pattern similar to what was used on the General Office Building in Roanoke. The depot was a two level affair, with the Chesapeake & Ohio on the street level. The N&W was above, leading to the approach to the massive bridge crossing the Ohio River. The bottom view shows that for the top view, the photographer was standing on the steps of KX tower. Barely visible on the connection to the left is Class K1 No. 105 backing down to the yard with a local. (I. W. King Photos/NWHS Archives NW14012(top) and NW 14013(bottom))
  Photo Portsmouth’s 1931 passenger station and office building. Demolished in 2003 for a new Sheriff’s office and facility. (Norfolk and Western Photo/NWHS Archives DS02960 )
  Map This is a portion of the valuation map for Portsmouth, showing the area on the west side of the city. Most of the text is upside down, as the valuation maps were all drawn to match the same pattern, and this one is turned 90 degrees to put the north more to the top.  (NWHS Archives Collection / HS-G00781)
  Drawing Double Track with ABS - Portsmouth-Williamson (except Tunnels #1, #3, and #4) Traffic Control - Union to Pritchard Rex to Double Crossover east of Kenova, (controlled by Kenova Tower) Naugatuck to East End of Tunnel #1 (controlled by Kermit Tower) Lenore Branch from Naugatuck to Millstone Yard (controlled by Kermit Tower) Manual Block - Remainder of Lenore Branch, Wayne Branch, Buck Creek Branch and Nolan Spur.
  Map This headline is a bit misleading, as this drawing certainly does not show all of the Portsmouth, Ohio yard. That would take more space that we can possibly allow, but if the reader wants a good copy they can study, you can order a print of the full size drawing, almost five foot across from our Archives. This one has red lines depicting the water lines in the yards, but you can see the shops, roundhouses, and the apex of the hump; other than minor details, this is how the layout was at High Noon. Further revisions to the engine terminal were after the date of this map, but this is the closest drawing to we could find to relate to the subject. (NWHS Archives Drawing HS-W00054 )
  Photo This photo MAY be the last reciprocating steam locomotive built for a Class I railroad in America., N&W’s Class S1a No. 244. Another view from the same photographer that appears to be taken at the same day and time is identified as such. It is a great view of the Portsmouth Yard looking westward in July 1958. (NWHS Archives Collection/NW00959 )
  Photo The 609 is leading what is probably the eastbound Cavalier at Ironton, Ohio in this 1950s scene. (N&W HS Archives NW08013 )
  Photo N&W Class A No. 1213 is rolling along with loads headed west at Wheelersburg, Ohio in this fine company photograph on July 27,1947. In May 1952, the 1200s began using a “canteen” to eliminate a water stop between Williamson and Portsmouth. (Norfolk and Western Photo/NWHS Archives Collection/NW10086 )
  Photo Photographer Bruce Meyer found S1a No. 239 waiting for its next call to duty at Kenova on August 27, 1957.  (Bruce Meyer Photo/NWHS Archives Collection/NW07529 )
  Photo A bit later that same day, Bruce Meyer caught Class S1a No. 219 at the Kenova Union Station. (Bruce Meyer Photo/NWHS Archives Collection/NW07530)
  Photo Photographer Robert F. Collins captured this fine view of Class A No. 1225 with 190 loads in tow westbound near Kermit, West Virginia, bound for Portsmouth. The railroad never stops for weekends, as is evidenced by this Saturday May 10, 1958 photo. (Robert F. Collins Photo/NWHS Archives Collection/NW01279 )
  Photo It is a pretty drab day in the Tug Fork Valley as Class J No. 612 leads the Cavalier with mostly mail and express traffic. The scenery might be dull in the rain today, but the handful of passengers riding the train were probably not on-board for the scenic ride. (H. W. Pontin Photo/NWHS Archives Collection/NW01030 )
  Photo This scene is the Kenova District in a single image. Extra 1220 is storming toward the camera with loads west as empties go east. We are lucky the photographer was not discouraged by the bad weather on this 1950 day. (W.G. Fancher Photo/NWHS Archives Collection/NW00998 )
  Photo The September 1953 N&W Magazine Cover captures a lot of the appeal of the southern West Virginia area from Williamson to the west. How many times this scene must have been repeated during the late steam era. The eastbound Powhatan Arrow is making its brief station stop at the Williamson, West Virgina station while Extra 1213 west is pulling out of the yard. It will be a river grade ride for 1213 most of the way to Kenova, then a short climb over the bridge and on to Portsmouth. (NWHS Archives Collection )
A Bad Day on the N&W - Bruce B. Harper
  Photo Delorme station, with one of the ventilated boxcars being unloaded, about ten years after the special train wreck. The 1913 Annual Report stated that this station was either built or enlarged after the wreck. This is not a standard N&W design. (Norfolk and Western Photo/NWHS Archives Collection/NW05500 )
  Letter Above: Early telegraphic report of the wreck, just three hours after the wreck occurred. Below: Letter from L.E. Johnson to President Ralph Peters of the Long Island. (NWHS Archives Collection )
  Letter Above: Johnson’s assuring telegraphic report to Henry Fink on the event and below to the Corporate Secretary to pass on assurances to the officers and directors. (NWHS Archives Collection )
  Photo The Archives had no photos of Class V1 No. 957 that was involved in the Special Train wreck, but sister 954 is shown here with her post-1920 lettering. The 957 was repaired and back in service, but was scrapped in August 1929. The 954 ‘s hostler has just finished washing down the cab floor as witness the water cascading from the running board and on the air reservoir. (NWHS Archives Collection/NW06619 )
Modeling Virginian's "JK" Tower - Mike Shockley
  Photo A 1950s view of Virginian Train No. 4 pulling out of Roanoke, VA heading east to Victoria and Norfolk. Today, No. 4 is led by Pacific No. 214 and about to cross the diamond with the Norfolk and Western’s “Punkin’ Vine”. The Walnut Avenue tower or “JK” is at left, a signal maintainer’s shed is to the right with both displaying Virginian’s then-standard gray with brown trim paint scheme. The bridge above is Walnut Avenue; the more distant bridge is Jefferson Street. (NWHS Archives Collection / HS-VGOOO400 )
  Map Almost at the same date for construction of new tower at Walnut Avenue is this drawing showing a new spur track for Roanoke Ready Mix Concrete plant, but shows you the general layout of how the tracks were arranged at the time. It appears that even though the plans were ready for the replacement, the older tower is depicted here. The new tower would not be contracted until May 8, 1946. (NWHS Archives Collection / HS-B05385 )
  Photo s of the completed model. (Mike Shockley)
  Drawing Top: Here is a much reduced version of page one of the two drawings used for construction. See the following pages for more specific details of the bidding process. Below: Note the close proximity of the original Walnut Avenue tower to the replacement, leaving a grand total of 16 inches to work on the new building! (NWHS Archives Collection / HS-D10510 (Top) / NWHS Archives Collection / HS-D10511 (Bottom) )
  Photo The author and his model at “JK” and with “JK” Tower in the background. 2014 photo. (“Skip” Salmon Photo )
  Photo The last days of “JK” tower shows one of the crew removing the shingles and wooden roof boards. Considering the building is over 72 years old, those boards looked to be in pretty good shape, a testament to the builder. (“Skip” Salmon Photo )
  Letter An excerpt of four pages of the group in the Chief Engineer’s files of the Virginian on the contract to build the Walnut Avenue tower. There are a number of items of interest to both modelers and historians in these pages, including the paint and color specifications, floor finish, the removal of the older tower and installation of the interlocking equipment. (NWHS Archives HO-590.12 )
N&W Section Foreman’s House-Stuarts Draft, Virginia - Ken Miller
  Photo Shenandoah Div St'd Section Foreman's House
  Map  (NWHS Archives HS-CC00796)
  Photo  (Images Courtesy Google Maps)
  Table Building List Sheet Shenandoah Division - Sheet No. 5
Looking Back... - Ken Miller
  Photo What a great set of elements: Virginian’s mighty AG 2-6-6-6 pulling through the wash rack at Roanoke, beside a water tower that looks very much like the standard Tidewater Railway design, even to the finial on the top . Unfortunately, this is just an example of great staging . Photographer Bruce Meyer managed to talk the local folks into posing the 903 for him, just before the 1957 National Railway Historical Society convention . The 903 had been out of service for over a year, but had remained in storage at Roanoke . The Virginian was washing and cleaning up for the display for convention attendees . They pulled the diesel away to allow the photo . How do we know all this? Very simply, actually, look closely, 903 is missing its air hose and front knuckle from the coupler . She is not working anywhere at this point, simply pulled from storage, like some of the other equipment for display. (Bruce Meyer Photo/N&WHS Archives NG100884)
Vol. 35, No. 1 January / March 2019  Issue Select