Vol. 21, No. 5 September / October 2005  Issue Select 
Issue Details
Cover Title: Roanoke: Depot Extraordinaire!
Cover Subtitle: Plus: Full Coverage of our Williamson Convention
On the Cover: In an era when passenger trains were every bit as important as freights, the Roanoke passenger station stands as the center of it all for the Nortolk and Western. This photo was taken shortly after the building had been modernized by famed architect Raymond Loewy, and shows a typical scene from the platform side. The first installment of our series on the history of the station begins on page 4.
Articles In This Issue
Roanoke: Depot Extraordinaire! / History of the Roanoke Passenger Station, Part 1 - Ron Davis
  Photo The Raymond Loewy designed building we're all familiar with makes a commanding presence in the middle of downtown Roanoke shortly before its official grand opening. But the road from its original incarnation in 1882 to this point is a facinating story. (N&W Photo/ VPI&SU collection)
  Photo View looking west sometime between 1889 and 1891. The original Main Office Building is just to the right of the tracks and the Hotel Roanoke on the Hill. Note the pedistrian crossing at the east end of the platform. (N&W Photo/ VPI&SU collection)
  Photo Class R #130 crosses Jefferson Street in 1895. The Main Office Building is to the left. (N&W Photo/ VPI&SU collection)
  Map Sanborn map of Roanoke January 1886, street map and detail map of station area (Sanborn Map Company)
  Photo View looking west around 1897. Note the the General Offices under construction in the background; the pedestrian crossing has been removed. (N&W Photo/ VPI&SU collection)
  Map Sanborn maps of Roanoke. Together with the earlier map, they show the area of the passenger station, freight station and some distance west of the freight station. Businesses in town are identified on the maps (Sanborn Map Company)
  Photo View looking west around 1902. Note the completed General Offices and the Henry Street Bridge over the tracks in the background. (N&W Photo/ VPI&SU collection)
  Drawing Diagram of steam operated car hoist used to raise cars so trucks of one gauge could be removed and the trucks of another gauge rolled under the car. (Norfolk and Western Magazine)
  Photo View of passenger station and Randolph Street Bridge, taken from the General Office Building, 1902 (N&W Photo/ VPI&SU collection)
  Photo View looking west around 1902. Note the General Offices, the Stratford Hotel and the Hotel Roanoke to the right of the tracks (N&W Photo/ VPI&SU collection)
  Photo Class U No. 81 a Vauclain Compound, waits with its train on the N&W tracks on the south side of the station. (N&W Photo/ VPI&SU collection)
  Photo 1905 view from south with Hotel Roanoke above on the left and new passenger station under construction on the right. (N&W Photo/ VPI&SU collection)
  Timetable timetable of Feb 12, 1882, the first timetable showing the station as "Roanoke" (N&WHS Archives)
  Timetable First Shenandoah Valley Railroad schedule after completion to Roanoke, Aug 27 1882 (N&WHS Archives)
  Table Annual Passenger traffic at Roanoke, 1882-1894 (author's research)
Our 2005 Convention / ...in Wild, Wonderful Williamson West Virginia - Charles "Bucky" H. Wilson, Jr.
  Photo convention attendees on turntable at Williamson (Jerry Kay photo)
  Photo NS 8853 (Jerry Kay photo)
  Photo Mingo Logan Mine  (Ron Davis Photo)
  Photo Twisted Gun Golf course (Ron Davis Photo)
  Sidebar The Story of the Matewan Massacre. Includes a Photo of rebuilt Matewan passenger station. (Clint Smoke)
  Photo photos in Williamson shops, one building, pedestrian overpass, workers applying car number (Ron Davis Photo)
Our Modeling Contest Winners / from this year's convention - Russ Goodwin
  Photo Photos of contest winners, and listing of items not pictured. Unstreamlined N&W class K2a #128, N&W SD45 #1739,N&W class CF caboose #514234, Side dump ballast car #518234,NS GP38-3 #5801,photo of #9732,VGN work derrick #B21, N&W class H4 hopper #30576, Photo of S1a, Line drawing of Y7, Diorama of Gillespie, Station at Raven, VA,  (Bill McClure)
Column: Nuggets from the Archives / An Obscure Bit of electrification lore - Gordon Hamilton
  Photo N&W Class LC-2 Electric locomotive #2512 and coal train west of Bluestone, WV. Note the steel catenary support column resting on, and bolted to, a concrete base. (N&WHS Archives)
  Photo VGN Class EL-3A electric locomotive in the Roanoke, VA, engine terminal. Note the steel catenary support column imbedded in the concrete base. #103 front view (N&WHS Archives)
  Drawing Diagram of VGN catenary support structures. Note the steel columns imbedded in concret bases. It also shows ho the "deadmen" are buried in the ground to provide an anchor for the guys that counteract the pull of the catenary, particularly on curves. shows design for both single track and double track applications (N&WHS Archives)
  Photo Six photos of manufacture of precast catenary bases and deadmen in Virginian yard in South Roanoke. note: the following issue has additional photos and a slight correction to the captions. (N&WHS Archives)
Column: The Tennessean / Those Wonderful old Photos - James Nichols
  Photo print from glass plate negative reportedly from 1915, of Bluefield yard showing some passenger cars near station, loaded N&W Battleship gons, the end of LV box 87977, electrification over entire yard area. (Harry S. Brown photo)
Tales of the Iron Road, part IV / recollections of strike of 1978 - Skip Salmon
Vol. 21, No. 5 September / October 2005  Issue Select