Vol. 16, No. 2 March / April 2000  Issue Select 
Issue Details
Cover Title: The Cincinnati Story: How the magnificent Cincinnati Union Station came to be
Cover Subtitle: Discovering the oddities in the N&W steam fleet
On the Cover: In the early 1920s, Cincinnati had no less than 7 passenger stations. Pictured here is the Pennsylvania Depot, which had originally served as the Panhandle Depot.
Articles In This Issue
The Cincinnati Story / How a tangled mess became the "The Temple of Transportation" - Gary Rolih
  Photo The B&O Baymiller Station, circa 1929 looking north up Baymiller. Built in 1863-1864 by the Cincinnati, Hamilton, & Dayton, the station was used by the B&O predominantly for local trains. By the late 20' few passenger trains left this station, but the adjacent freight house was still in use. The distinctive two wire Cincinnati Street Railway catenary hangs over the intersection.  (Gibson Yungblut Collection)
  Photo The "business side" of the Baymiller station, looking south into the platforms. Baymiller street is on the left. (Gibson Yungblut Collection)
  Map Downtown Cincinnati, 1916. Passenger stations in Cincinnati, pre-CUT, were scattered hither and you, resulting in confusion and frequent missed connections.
  Photo The train sheds of the Pennsylvania Station looking west, circa 1929. The elevated approach to the L&N bridge can clearly be seen between the station and the freight house which was the second Little Miami Railroad Station. (Gibson Yungblut Collection)
  Photo Central Union Depot at Central and Third Street, Circa 1900. The trainshed was below street level and extended to the right along Third street. By 1929, this station handled B&O, Big Four (NYC), L&N, CNO&TP (Southern) and C&O trains. A small portion of the wall separating the train shed from Third Street remains today. (Gibson Yungblut Collection)
  Photo Central Union Depot in the 1883 flood showing the umbrella shed and the Big Four freight shed to the right. All of the Cincinnati downtown stations except the Court Street Station were in the normal flood plain of the Ohio River. (Gibson Yungblut Collection)
  Photo The Court Street Station of the Cincinnati, Lebanon, and Northern (PRR), circa 1905. The Norfolk & Western Ry and it predecessor lines used this station. The N&W leased considerable space in the CL&N freight house and employed nearly fifty people here in the 20's. This print was taken from a colorized postcard. (Fred Bauer Collection)
  Photo The Chesapeake & Ohio Station on Fourth Street, circa 1929. This station was a converted row house with the correct elevation for access to the C&O bridge. The Central Union Depot stands behind with its approach tracks under the steel bridge in the immediate background. (Fred Bauer Collection)
  Photo The C&O Fourth Street station platform, which was an extension off of the C&O bridge. (Fred Bauer Collection)
  Photo The Pennsylvania Station at Pearl and Butler Street, circa 1929, looking east along Pearl. The curved, elevated bridge approach to the L&N bridge can be seen on the left side of the station. Today, Pearl Street is named Pete Rose Way. (Gibson Yungblut Collection)
  Photo Postcard of the Torrance Road Station, circa 1910. Of the stations replaced by Cincinnati Union Depot, the Torrance Road Station was the only "suburban" station. This station was about five miles eastbound from the Pennsylvania station on the PRR. Supposedly the tall tower was for and elevator used by President William Howard Taft's wife who was confined to a wheelchair. (Gibson Yungblut Collection)
  Table Average Number of Trains Per Day, Station & Railroad, in 1920
Those Piston Valve Z1a's / Discovering the oddities in the N&W steam fleet - Ed King
  Photo Class Z1b #1398 in the roundhouse at Williamson, WV in 9/1956. The #1398 was the first Z1a (3/1927) to be converted in the program that would see 73 of her sisters converted by 5/1931. The #1456 was the last one. The pipe from the smokebox around to the feedwater heater on the left side shows well here. (Ed King Photo)
  Photo This N&W photo from 11/1934, show the left side of Z1b #1409. This is a good view of her low pressure valve gear, as well as the steam pipe coming from the smokebox around under the left running board to the Worthington BL feedwater heater. This pipe supplied the heater with exhaust steam which was used to preheat the feedwater. (Ed King Collection)
  Photo Here is the Class Z1a #1438 in an N&W photograph believed to date from 1920 or earlier. She is in road service as is evidenced by here wooden "cowcatcher" pilot. She has piston valve low pressure cylinders, but still has the outside-admission Baker valve gear with which she was built. She has no feedwater heater, as evidenced by both injectors located ahead of the cab on the right side, and both air pumps are still on her left side. She still has her small tender, but has been equipped with a low-water alarm. Note that she still has her original oil headlight. (N&W photo, Ed King Collection)
  Photo Here is the the Class Z1b #1438 at Portsmouth, Ohio, shortly before being retired in 4/1958. She was the next to the last Z1a converted to Z1b in 2/1931. She now has her air pumps on the right side because her Worthington BL feedwater heater is on the left side, as evidenced by the steam pipe coming out of the bottom of here smokebox and going around to the left side. Note that her valve gears are different, too. Her combination levers are hung from the valve stems, and her low pressure engine has conventional Baker valve gear - these LP cyclinders are inside admission. (N&W photo, Ed King Collection)
The Tennessean / Norfolk and Western Tenders, Part 5 - James Nichols
The Virginian Local / Frugal Is as Frugal Does - Martin E. Swartz
  Drawing Matoaka, WV (VGN) depot (Roanoke Chapter NRHS)
Current News / Update on today's railroading - Robert G. Bowers
  Photo Caboose C32p #55074 still proudly wearing here original N&W markings at Roanoke 11/1999.
  Photo Caboose C31 displays a variation of the temporary NS marking in Roanoke (11/1999). Formerly N&W #518566
N-Scale Notes / Spiffy Fifty-Footers for Fast Freights - Frank Gibson
Vol. 16, No. 2 March / April 2000  Issue Select