Vol. 18, No. 5 September / October 2002  Issue Select 
Issue Details
Cover Title: Our Lynchburg Convention
Cover Subtitle: And... A Depot Reclaimed, A Depot Reborn
On the Cover: Now part of a beautiful rails to trails effort, the 508 foot long Lynchburg Tunnel occupies a signigicant historical and geographical place in the Norfolk and Western Railway. Bored through solid rock during the construction of the original Virginia and Tennessee Railroad between 1850 and 1852 (the portion west to Bedford was opened in 1852, even though the entire line to Bristol was not finished until 1856), it never required lining. It was the eastern-most tunnel on the system until the discontinuance of Island Yard in the 1960's. Evidence of widening efforts are still visible inside, although it is difficult to visualize how the larger steam motive power, such as A's, J's, and Y6's could negotiate the curvature. Its preservation by the City of Lynchburg is indeed a tribute to our wonderful railroad.
Articles In This Issue
Our 2002 Convention / Fun and Excitement in Lynchburg - Charles "Bucky" H. Wilson, Jr.
  Photo Everybody smile! Attendees at our 2002 convention gather on the steps of a beautiful Federal home located at Point of Honor. Built in 1815 by Dr. George Cabell, Sr., physician and friend of Patrick Henry, the home overlooks the James River. The photo was taken just after a barbecue lunch held on the site; members then enjoyed a tour of the beautifully restored residence. (Gary Rolih Photo)
  Photo The former "X" Tower, once so important in guiding sleek passenger trains and long freights into and around Union Staion and through Island Yard, stands in sad neglect, its service days long past. (Charles H. Wilson, Jr.)
  Photo Two Photos. Lynchburg's Kemper Street Station, once a major passenger stop for Southern, has been refurbished and now handles Amtrak's once-a-day Crescent from the lower level (track-side, bottom photo), and Greyhound patrons from the upper level streetside (top). (Jarrell Greever Photos)
  Photo Two Photos. Stapleton Station proved to be one of the most fascinating tours of the convention. After serving as a hay storage barn for many years, the building was dismantled board by board, and reassembled adjacent to a Civil War Cemetery. While the exterior is new, every board of the interior is original, complete with near 100 year old graffiti etched into the wood. The station was originally a C&O facility, and its baggage room handled many deceased young men who lost their lives in World War I. They arrived by the dozens in boxcars. Many were buried in the adjacent cemetery. Inside, the station agent's area in front of the bay window is furnished exactly as it would have been in the early 1900s. (Charles H. Wilson, Jr.)
  Photo Fred Reburn, a former brakeman for many years on the N&W, served as our host for the tour of Island Yard. (Jarrell Greever Photo)
  Photo While now just forest and a hiking trail, markers have been placed where the servicing facilities once stood. (Charles H. Wilson, Jr.)
  Photo Society members and their families socialize before being seated for a wonderful buffet at our hotel on Saturday evening. (Ron Davis Photo)
  Photo Lynchburg historian Tom Ledford served as our guest speaker, providing enlightenment on the city's complicated rail history. (Ron Davis Photo)
  Photo The Altavista passenger station stands in fine shape, and is presently used for civic functions. A freshly painted Virginian caboose insures the railroad hsitory of the town is never forgotten. (Charles H. Wilson, Jr.)
  Photo There's a small yard office in Altavista, and the crew at the yard office obviously takes pride in their work. But we wonder of the logo treatment gracing the entrance to the office has been approved by the corporate offices in Norfolk . . . (Charles H. Wilson, Jr.)
Tug Interlude / A passenger extra and a freight . . at the same time - Ed King
  Photo No caption. A photo of TUG tower. (N&W Photo / VPI&SU Collection)
A Depot Reclaimed, A Depot Reborn / Two N&W stations find a new life - Mike Pierry; Jeff Hensley
  Photo An NS freight passes the newly reclaimed Abingdon (VA) passenger station. Shown behind the locomotives is the old N&W freight depot (now home of The Arts Depot) and on the hill in the distance, The William King Regional Arts Center. (Mike Pierry, Jr.)
  Photo In February, painters are at work applying the finish coats to the walls and trim. A portion of the drop-ceiling has been retained but the original space above is now clearly revealed. Cast iron radiators shown are still functional with the furnace and boiler located in the basement. They will be kept to preserve the original appearance, but won't be used after the new heating system is installed. (Mike Pierry, Jr.)
  Photo Ronnie Greer assumed personal responsibility in the moving, cleaning and refinishing of the original ticket window. When passenger service returns to Virginia and Abingdon becomes a designated station stop (as planned by the state of Virginia in conjunction with Amtrak) space in the restored station, unconnected to the historical Society's areas, will be provided for ticketing. (Mike Pierry, Jr.)
  Photo The Station master's room with the bay window treatment as it appeared prior to the Society's furnishings being installed. Some slight distortion appears in the image due to the "stitching" of three separate images. (Mike Pierry, Jr.)
  Photo In the center portion of the station is the O. Winston Link exhibit, "A Day On The Abingdon Brnach," a portion of which is shown here. There are thirty photographs on permanent loan to the station by the William King Regional Arts Center, who retains ownership of the collection. Seventeen of the photos are currently on display, with plans to rotate the remainder periodically. (Mike Pierry, Jr.)
  Photo Awaiting the Grand Opening in March, 2002 are Kitty Henninger, President, Nancy Leasure, Director and Jim Alexander, Project Manager of the Historical Society of Washington County. (Mike Pierry, Jr.)
  Photo As viewed from the pedestrian bridge, Abingdon's new boardwalk stretches to the east. This excellent train-watching walkway passes under the Cummings Street overpass (at top center) and continues on to link up with the famous Virginia Creeper Trail that ties Abingdon to Damascus, Green Cover, and White Top Station. (Mike Pierry, Jr.)
  Photo Here is a close-up view showing the fine quality and condition of the masonry. Stone block projections for the roof supports are indicative of "First Class" status when built in 1910. (Mike Pierry, Jr.)
  Photo Another special landmark for N&W fans is the Section Foreman House (now privately owned) directly across the tracks from the east and of the Abingdon Passenger Staion. It can be viewed by using the pedestrian bridge that spans the railroad property. (Mike Pierry, Jr.)
  Photo No caption. A photo of the "Welcome to the Matewan Depot Replica" plaque. (Jeff and Tim Hensley)
  Photo Three photos. From the beautifully painted enterior, to historical N&W furnishings, the N&W passenger station replica in Matewan, WV will produce wonderful memories of the golden era of train travel, and house a museum of local history and culture. (Jeff and Tim Hensley)
N&W Freight Roster, 1946 / Part 11 in a series - James F. Brewer
  Photo According to Andrew Dow's Norfolk and Western Coal Cars, N&W built one Class GP gondola to test a lighter design gondola. All production cars were classed GPa with some being drop bottom and others fixed bottom. N&W 92658 was built in 1917 and is of the drop bottom design, as evidenced by the ratchets seen at the bottom of the third, fourth, seventh and eighth panels. Note the flat end, stem-winder brake wheel and poling pockets. (N&WHS Archive Collection)
  Photo N&W 93161 is a GPa that has been rebuilt at Roanoke Shops in 1934. The drop bottom doors and ratchet mechanisms have been eliminated by the fixed bottom incorporated as part of the rebuilding process. These cars, like the Class H1 hoppers, rode on Andrews style trucks. (N&WHS Archive Collection)
  Photo In upgrading the GPa gondolas, ribbed ends replaced the original glat ends. The ribbed ends provided greater strength and protection against damage from shifting loads. (N&WHS Archive Collection)
  Photo N&W Class HP 79264 has had its as-built winding sheaves and chains replaced with Wine Co. door locks. A slightly different photo of this same car appears on page 54 of Andrew Dow's Norfolk and Western Coal Cars. This car still has its as-built flat ends; later rebuildings of the HP class cars would add the arched end usually associated with the N&W hopper fleet. (N&WHS Archive Collection)
  Photo Class HP hoppers were rebuilt, modernized and reclassified H1, beginning in 1939. Compare this side view of Class H1 N&W 33019 with the 79264. Although equipped with Wine Co. door locks, there are only 2 pairs of doors rather than the 3 pairs on the Class HP cars. The H1 cars rode on Andrews style trucks. (N&WHS Archive Collection)
  Photo This view of Class H1 N&W 33019 shows the modifications made to the ends when the HP and its cousins were rebuilt as Class H1. Where the HP cars received arched ends, it was simply a piece of steel added to the top chord of the original end. When rebuilt as H1s, the end has a one-piece arched end. Note the slight cant of the brake platform. (N&WHS Archive Collection)
The Tennessean / Thunder in Kenova - James Nichols
  Photo In an earlier day, Z1a #1382 brings a westbound train of coke hoppers past the Kenova passenger platforms, heading for the Ohio River bridge. This was state-of-the-art in 1914. (H.E. Nichols Photo / Jim Nichols Collection)
The Virginian Local / Archival Treasures bring the Virginian to life - Tom Salmon
  Drawing This is a 1939 Olge Company drawing for their sanding towers purchased by the Virginian. Many manufacturers drawings are in the Society's Virginian AFE and RFP holdings, as well as hundreds of Company drawings. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
In Scale / Our convention model & photo contest winners - George Hughes
  Photo Color Photograph: Mason Cooper's homage to the daylight O. Winston Link photograph of Luray Crossing. (Mason Cooper)
  Photo Black and White Photograph: Harry Bundy's photograph of VGN PA 4-6-2 #214, taken when he was 16. (Harry Bundy)
  Photo Crafts: Gary Price made a model display shelf, with the back outlining the Commonwealth of Virginia, and added a representative railroad route map with N gauge track representing the routes and several cloisonne pins in strategic N&W locations. (George Hughes)
  Photo Caboose: Kevin Goodman's scratchbuilt HO scale N&W R-1 transfer caboose in the blue scheme. (George Hughes)
  Photo Coal Car: Roger Nutting's HO scale HR coal hopper painted and weathered as it appeared at the end of its service life in the 1950s. (George Hughes)
  Photo Structure: Nathan Robinette's TM Tower. (George Hughes)
  Photo Diesel/Electric: Kevin Goodman made an HO GP40 and slug set painted in the last Norfolk and Western scheme. Kevin used many Cannon and other detail parts in the construction of the GP40; the body of the slug is mostly scratchbuilt. (George Hughes)
  Photo Favorite Train: Pat Ryan's Bluestone Branch train with an E-Class 4-6-2 locomotive, a BMf baggage-mail combination car, and a PK coach. (George Hughes)
  Photo Freight Car: Gary Price's HO Mathieson Dry Ice car. These cars were regulars in N&W service on the Bristol Line to and from Saltville. (George Hughes)
  Photo Display/Diorama: David Robinette's HO model of a typical West Virginia/steam era coal tipple. (George Hughes)
  Photo Norfolk Southern: (a new category this year): Chris Dalton's HO scale SD45 #1766. Chris modified the trucks to reflect this model's prototype, and also added the high short hood and other details. (George Hughes)
  Photo Passenger Car: Pat Ryan's N&W MS mail-storage car. (George Hughes)
  Photo Steam: Charlie Schlotthober's Virginian USE 2-8-8-2 #737, with scratchbuilt cab and numerous other locomotive and tender details. (George Hughes)
  Photo Non-Revenue Car: Pat Ryan's brass dynomometer car, painted and finished with window panes and window sashes painted on the interior. (George Hughes)
  Photo Virginian: Roger Nutting's HO scale G5 gondola. (George Hughes)
  Photo Best of Show: (a new voting category this year): Charlie Schlotthober's meticulous work on his VGN USE 2-8-8-2 #737. (George Hughes)
  Photo What If?: George Hughes' Virginian gas-electric car #96, with passengers and window shades. (George Hughes)
  Photo The new Atlas SD35 looks striking on a layout, and, save for a few optional details you may want to add, can go direct from box to rail. The model runs beautifully. (George Hughes)
  Photo No caption. Shows and SD35 #1521. (Bob Bowers Photo)
  Photo The Atlas SD35 hisgh short hood end, showing the knuckle box ahead of car, five-chime horn, and (barely visible) radio antenna. (George Hughes)
Magnificence in Maple / An amazing story of most unusual modeling - Jarrell Greever
  Photo No captions. Two photos of Fred's magnificent model creations in wood! (Fred Reburn)
Vol. 18, No. 5 September / October 2002  Issue Select