Vol. 27, No. 2 April / June 2011  Issue Select 
Issue Details
Cover Title: Rails Remembered, part 1
Cover Subtitle: The Electric N&W, part 5
On the Cover: A photograph titled “Sometimes the Electricity Fails” depicts a gravity gasoline pump being used in lieu of the more modern electric pump behind the attendant in Vesuvius, Virginia, on the Shenandoah line. In the meantime, K2a Class 131 rolls northward with Train No. 2. Author Louis Newton’s Rails Remembered book series continues as articles in The Arrow, with the first installment beginning on page 18, which covers the author’s train travels between Roanoke and Philadelphia, passing this very spot.
Articles In This Issue
The Publishers Desk - Kevin EuDaly
  Photo Louis Newton, left, shares a moment and a smile with Bill McClure during the Front Royal 2010 convention tour at Antietam, Maryland. Louis has written a four-book series titled Rails Remembered, three of which are available through the Commissary.  (Kevin EuDaly photo)
  Photo Though the articles in THE ARROW have been focusing on N&W electric operations, steam continued to ply N&W's rails over the Elkhorn Grade during the electric era. There are some excellent photos of steam under wire, including this one between Bluefield and Falls Mills, Virginia, ofY4 2086 hauling a long string of mixed freight on an unknown date. (courtesy Louis Newton, N&WHS Archives collection)
The Electric N&W, Part 5:  / Electrification Meets the Great Depression - Kevin EuDaly
  Photo Besides hauling coal and manifest over the Elkhorn Grade, the electrics were also used as helpers for heavy passenger trains. Here an LC-1 pair is on the head end on the Elkhorn Grade in 1930. The absence of a pilot ahead of the wheels is puzzling. (courtesy Louis Newton, N&WHS Archives collection)
Supplying Sand to Locomotives / Electric Railway Journal, November 24, 1923 - Kevin EuDaly
  Photo An accompanying illustration shows the sand boxes and equipment. The sand boxes are filled from a drying room located on the near side of the track not shown in the illustration. The sand is conveyed from the drying room to the boxes by approximately 70 pounds of air pressure through 2-inch iron pipes, marked “B” in the photograph. There are three of these riser pipes at the end of the first sand box of each group, one for each box. The distance from the drying room to the sand boxes is approximately 150 feet. (Electric Railway Journal)
N&W Electrification has Increased Capacity / Electric Railway Journal, February 9, 1924 - Kevin EuDaly
Operating Problems with Electrification / Electric Railway Journal, July 12, 1924 - Kevin EuDaly
Short Articles and Advertisements / 1925-1928 - Kevin EuDaly
  Letter This Westinghouse advertisement from the June 14, 1924, Electric Railway Journal demonstrates the steady increase in heavy-traction customers, adding the Virginian to the fold for the first time in its advertising campaigns. (Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Letter Westinghouse was still at it, advertising the N&W’s new electrics in the Electric Railway Journal issue for September 13, 1924. This ad touts the second group of electrics ordered by the N&W, the LC-2s, which were covered in detail in The Arrow in issue 26-3. (Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Letter From the 1910s through the mid-1920s, electrification enjoyed some huge projects in heavy-haul freight railroading, and the N&W’s installation garnered a lot of attention. Westinghouse featured both the N&W and Virginian in this ad that appeared in the Electric Railway Journal in the January 23, 1925, issue. (Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Letter The inclusion of the N&W electrification in advertising took a twist with this Locke Insulator Corporation ad that appeared in the September 25, 1926 issue of the Electric Railway Journal. The photos all emphasize the wire and the associated insulators. The manufacturers of the various components that made up the electrified installation were likely to use the installation as a reference for their products. (Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Letter This Westinghouse advertisement featured both the N&W and Virginian electric locomotives. It appeared in the March 3, 1928 issue of the Electric Railway Journal. (Kevin EuDaly collection)
Railroad Electrification / Railway Age, June 15, 1929 - George Gibbs
  Photo In this view at Switchback, an electric-powered loaded coal train on the north track is being passed by a passenger train (most likely No. 24) behind Class K-1 4-8-2 115. Both trains have some motion blur, indicating they are both moving eastbound, and the electric pushers on the coal train can be seen beyond the end of the eight-car passenger train. (courtesy Louis Newton, N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo Class LC-1 2502 is at work east of Bluestone, West Virginia, on August 10, 1948. There are only a couple years left in electric operation between Iaeger and Bluefield on the Pocahontas Division at the time this photograph was taken. (August A. Thieme, Jr., photo, N&WHS Archives collection)
Rails Remembered, Chapter 73 / Traveling in Style, The Northeast Corridor in 1953 - Louis M. Newton
  Timetable This is page 11 from the condensed schedules in Timetable No. 3, effective June 7, 1953, covering the Shenandoah Valley Route. Note “theoretical” connection at Buena Vista between Train No. 1 and the C&O Railway mixed train for Lexington, Virginia. (Louis Newton collection)
  Map Map of Norfolk & Western Railway and connections as of 1954. Note routes to Northeast via Lynchburg and Southern Railway and via Hagerstown and the Pennsylvania Railroad. (Louis Newton collection)
  Timetable From the condensed schedules in Timetable No. 3, effective June 7, 1953, are these condensed schedules for The Birmingham Special and The Pelican between the Northeast and N&W connections to the South. The Tennesseean also provided service in the same territory. (Louis Newton collection)
  Timetable Through car service for all principal N&W passenger trains and connections is from Timetable No. 3, effective June 7, 1953. (Louis Newton collection)
  Photo Shenandoah Division Train No. 2, locally known as “The Valley Train,” was one of O. Winston Link’s favorite subjects. Here it is pictured near Gooseneck Dam, along the Maury River between Glasgow and Buena Vista, Virginia. For many years a mural-size copy of this photograph covered a wall of the Shenandoah Division Dispatcher’s Office in Roanoke. (Photo courtesy of the O. Winston Link Museum, Roanoke, Virginia)
  Table Consists of N&W Trains Nos. 17 and 42 between Lynchburg and Bristol, generally the heaviest trains between those points. Extra cars were added as needed, depending on traffic volumes. These are from “Consists of Main Line Passenger Trains,” issued by N&W Transportation Department, May 1, 1953. (Louis Newton collection)
  Letter A list of N&W locomotives equipped with Union Switch & Signal’s continuous inductive cab signals for operation between Hagerstown and Roanoke, from Data Book No. 1, N&W Locomotives, Freight and Passenger Equipment Cars, issued by General Superintendent Motive Power, revised May 19, 1953. No other locomotives could operate in the territory without special authorization. (Louis Newton collection)
  Photo On a cold winter night in the mid-1950s, O. Winston Link photographed N&W Trains Nos. 1 (left) and 2, both powered by K2a locomotives, as they met at PRR’s Hager Tower in Hagerstown, Maryland. The location of the tower marked the division of ownership between the N&W and PRR. The joint passenger station was about a half mile to the north, behind No. 1. (Photo courtesy of the O. Winston Link Museum, Roanke, Virginia)
End of the Roll - James A. Boyd
  Photo He managed a fair number of N&W images, including the one above taken in Chicago on April 30, 1971, the day before Amtrak took over. It is the last run of Train 121, the City of Decatur. The following day the wholesale replacement of private passenger service occurred with the first day of Amtrak operations. (James Boyd photo)
Vol. 27, No. 2 April / June 2011  Issue Select