Vol. 31, No. 2 April / June 2015  Issue Select 
Issue Details
Cover Title: Beyond the Appalachians
Cover Subtitle: Implementing the N&W Vision, N&W's 1964 Merger, The Sandusky District
On the Cover: A key element in the 1964 merger of the N&W with the Nickel Plate, the Wabash, the Akron, Canton & Youngstown, and the Pittsburgh & West Virginia, was a physical connection between the N&W and the other roads. That proved to be the PRR’s Sandusky Branch, which connected to the N&W at Columbus, Ohio, the AC&Y at Chatfield (between Akron and Delphos), and the Nickel Plate at Bellevue (the crossing of NKP’s Toledo–Brewster, Ohio, main line with the Buffalo–Chicago main line) and Sandusky (the NKP line from Sandusky to Peoria, Illinois). The Sandusky line was an ideal fit. This issue includes an article on the 1964 merger (beginning on page 20), and an article on the Sandusky Branch that became a part of the N&W system after the merger (beginning on page 40). In this view N&W GP9 657 is the sole power on a southbound with piggybacks at Marion, Ohio, on September 1, 1968, four years after the merger. Marion was near the midpoint of the Sandusky Branch between Columbus and Bellevue, and was where the PRR branch crossed the Erie and the NYC.
Articles In This Issue
N&W-VGN Modeler / Vintage HO-Scale Models, 1940-1975 - James F. Brewer; Dave Spanagel
  Table Includes multiple tables outlining what equipment was available and when.
Implementing The Norfolk & Western Vision - Alex Schust
  Map The N&W’s 1889 Annual Report noted that the planned Ohio Extension would allow for connections at Ceredo, West Virginia (near Huntington), with the Elizabeth[town], Lexington & Big Sandy west to Lexington, Kentucky, with the C&O to Cincinnati and points west, and with the Ohio River Railroad to Wheeling, Pittsburgh, and the northeast. At Ironton, Ohio, there would be connections to the Midwest with the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton System, the Scioto Valley Railway, and the Ohio & Northwestern Railroad.
  Map The SVR extension from Portsmouth to a cross-river connection with Ashland, Kentucky, opened on May 22, 1881. The 1887 SVR system map shows the railroad with its multiple connections as it runs north from Ashland to Columbus. The larger map shows the multiple connections east, north, and west from Columbus to Midwest markets. (courtesy of Rutherford B. Hays Presidential Center, Fremont, Ohio)
  Timetable he 1887 SVR local schedule showed three northbound trains and three southbound trains between Columbus and Ashland six days a week. (courtesy Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center)
  Drawing The top portion (north bank of the Ohio River) of this drawing (N&WHS Archives HS-W10010) shows the Scioto Valley Railway terminus in Petersburg, Ohio. Note the five-stall roundhouse completed in 1892, the passenger station, and the railroad leading back to the river transfer point. The portion on the south bank of the Ohio River shows the Ashland Coal & Iron Railroad (AC&I) river transfer point as well as the AC&I tracks to both the Union Station and Junction Station. The Scioto Valley Railway connected with the Chattarol Railway (via AC&I) at Union Station and with the C&O and Elizabethtown, Lexington & Big Sandy at Junction Station.  (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Map The Ohio Extension in Ohio ran from the Ohio River bank north of Kenova to Coal Grove. Survey Station 0+00 was set at or near the river bank, and the west end of the Ohio River bridge was at Station 2+00 or 200 feet from Station 0+00. The drawing to the left is a portion of N&WHS Archives HS-W10010 which shows a preliminary survey of the proposed Ohio Extension from Twelve Pole Creek through Ceredo to Coal Grove and beyond to Hanging Rock, Ohio. The inset shows the end of the Scioto Valley Railway at Petersburg (Coal Grove) at Survey Station 379+52, or 37,752 feet (7.15 miles) from the west end of the Ohio River Bridge. The 1896 Scioto Valley Division Time Table listed Coal Grove as 7.9 miles from Kenova Station and 6.8 miles from the North Kenova Station. The map of Kenova below is dated 1890. It is a planning map of proposed N&W facilities and tracks in Kenova. It provides a good representation of the Ohio Extension crossing the Ohio River and turning west towards Coal Grove. Kenova was a planned N&W community named for Kentucky (KEN), Ohio (O), and West Virginia (VA). Construction of Kenova did not start until after construction of the Ohio River bridge was begun in July 1890. While some early structures had been built, Kenova as a community and a terminus of the Kenova Division was barely off the ground in December 1892. (VT ImageBase, Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Tech)
  Photo In order to transfer passengers and cargo from Petersburg on the north bank of the Ohio River to the AC&I connection on the south bank, Prince wrote, “…the Scioto Valley acquired a railroad transfer barge, the Scioto, which was handled by a towboat as a passenger train and freight car ferry.” The train ferry operated between the SVR landing and the AC&I landing. The train ferry continued to be used after December 13, 1891, when the Ohio River bridge at Kenova opened, until about 1920. In this photograph SVR 14, a 4-4-0 purchased from Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1882, poses with the train ferry at the SVR river landing. The train ferry was powered by the steamboat George Wood, built in Pittsburgh in 1887. SVR 14 was renumbered N&W 524 in Class O-9. The locomotive was destroyed in February 1903, along with the four other locomotives in Class O-9. (Norfolk Southern Corporation collection)
  Photo SVR locomotive 2 was one of 20 locomotives that came with the N&W’s purchase of the Scioto Valley and New England Railroad. The SVR had purchased the locomotive in 1877 from the Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works. The N&W renumbered the Pittsburgh 4-4-0 to 520 and placed it and SVR 1 into its Class J series. N&W 520 was destroyed in May 1902. (Norfolk Southern Corporation collection)
  Photo The SVR bought six acres in Portsmouth in August 1877 on which to build a coal yard and railroad facilities. By May 1879 both the locomotive and car repair shops were in operation, although the work was not steady for the 40 to 50 employees. As late as November 1879 tracks had not been built to the locomotive repair shop because of the scarcity of rail. In addition, between January and May 1881, the railroad spent $125,000 on rolling stock. By the end of May 1881 the railroad owned 13 locomotives. In August 1881 the SVR produced plans to build an eight-stall roundhouse at Portsmouth and a five-stall roundhouse at Petersburg to service its 13 locomotives. The roundhouse at Portsmouth opened on December 31, 1881. Prior to opening the roundhouse the SVR used the Marietta & Cincinnati turntable in Portsmouth to turn its locomotives. The original SVR roundhouse at Portsmouth was replaced in 1903 by a new 20-stall roundhouse with an 85-foot turntable at new East Portsmouth Yard. An additional 20 stalls were added in 1907. The top photograph with locomotive E1 class 587 on the Portsmouth turntable was taken in 1906. The photograph above of locomotive V1 959 on the Portsmouth turntable, is thought to have been taken in 1908. (Norfolk Southern Corporation collection)
  Table The table of cars delivered and received on the Scioto Valley Division in 1893 was extracted from the N&W’s 1893 Annual Report, which was the last time this type of table was provided in annual reports. The table shows there was significant traffic exchanged with connections between Kenova and Columbus. In comparison the 1903 map of the Scioto Division shows no connecting railroads between Portsmouth and Cincinnati.
  Sidebar The N&W and CC&T Facilities and Connections in Columbus (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo This photograph shows CP&V 4-4-0 locomotive 2 at Portsmouth on June 1, 1896. The locomotive was renumbered N&W 714 in 1901 after the N&W purchased the CP&V. (Norfolk Southern Corporation collection)
  Photo This undated photograph shows the CP&V (Ohio & Northwestern) passenger depot in Portsmouth.  (Norfolk Southern Corporation collection)
  Map The N&W’s 1905 system map of the Ohio portion of the Scioto Division did not significantly change until 1964 when the N&W purchased the Sandusky Line and began its Midwest railroad acquisitions.  (August 1905 Official Guide)
The Norfolk and Western Beyond the Appalachians / N&W's 1964 Merger - Ed Painter
  Photo N&W high-short-hood GP30 559 poses next to its new sibling, Nickel Plate SD9 351, at Calumet Yard in Chicago in 1967. By this date motive power from the merged roads had begun to be shuffled about the system as power assignments moved locomotives far from their original haunts. The N&W renumbered Nickel Plate locomotives by adding a “2” in front of their number, and likewise added a “3” in front of Wabash numbers. But even three years into the merger there were still locomotives not only in their original pre-merger paint schemes, but also still carrying their original numbers, which is the case here. (Jim Boyd photo, Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Map The state of the N&W before the 1964 merger is seen in this map from the June 3, 1945, public time table. The tiny date code in the lower right-hand corner reads “3-1-’44.” This map changed drastically after the merger. (Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Photo Nickel Plate Berkshire 757 is in service at East Wayne, Indiana, in this view on June 30, 1957. The 2-8-4s were popular locomotives on the Nickel Plate, with 80 on the roster. The first 15 were built by Alco, while the remainder came from Lima. The 757 is one of 30 Class S-2 locomotives (740–769) built in 1944. It is preserved at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg, one of five S-2 and one S-3 NKP Berkshires to avoid the scrapper’s torch. The handsome Berkshires came to symbolize the Nickel Plate. (Jim Neubauer photo, Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Map The Nickel Plate in the 1950s was comprised of four districts, as indicated on this map dated April 21, 1953. A list of where CTC was in place is included in the upper left corner of the map, and mileages between key points appears at the right side.  (John Benson collection)
  Photo Alco RS-36 873 leads an EMD GP30 on an eastbound at State Line Tower on the south side of Chicago, Illinois, in June 1966. The merger gave the N&W access to Chicago via this portion of the Nickel Plate — the train is on the former Nickel Plate main line, and is crossing the B&OCT on the diamond. The two tracks closest to the tower are right where the Erie Lackawanna officially ended and the Chicago & Western Indiana took over to Chicago. The Wabash main line to Chicago is behind the tower out of view. (Jim Boyd photo, Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Photo The Nickel Plate powered its passenger trains with a number of steam generator-equipped locomotives, including 11 Alco PA-1s (180–190), a pair of which are on this eastbound at Fort Wayne, Indiana, in October 1959. The NKP PAs all went back to Alco in November 1961, but some were subsequently leased back until as late as May 1962. Thus none of the PA-1s made it to the N&W merger in 1964. (Eugene Huddleston photo)
  Photo Nickel Plate GP30 has the white “Extra” flags flying on May 3, 1964, just a few months before the N&W merger. The train is at Bloomington, Illinois, and is crossing the GM&O diamonds. The NKP had 10 GP30s, 900–909, that were renumbered to N&W 2900–2909. All 10 made it to the NS merger. (Jim Boyd photo, Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Map This map of the PRR’s Sandusky branch was used in the ICC merger proceedings. It shows the line from its connection with the N&W in Columbus to Sandusky on Lake Erie, including the crossings with the AC&Y at Chatfield and the Nickel Plate at Bellevue and Sandusky that tied the systems together. (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo F7A 691 sits at the front of a string of F-units in the engine facility near the sanding tower at Landers Yard in Chicago. They’re wearing the last Wabash scheme, while the Geep in the distance at right is in the older scheme. This photo was taken on August 26, 1963, a year before the merger would eliminate the Wabash as an independent road. (Jim Boyd photo, Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Map The Wabash included the Ann Arbor, the Manistique & Lake Superior, and the New Jersey, Indiana & Illinois, which all appeared on its system maps in public time tables for many years. This one, from a September 25, 1938, time table was printed with a blue ink. Wabash’s flag varied over the years in small details. The Ann Arbor was not included in the merger. (Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Photo Wabash E7A 1000 (one of only four on the roster) leads an E8A on the St. Louis Limited arriving in St. Louis from Detroit early on a morning in September 1965. This train was commonly known as the “Wrong Way Wabash” because it and its counterpart, the Detroit Limited, were at this time N&W’s only former-Wabash trains to enter St. Louis from Illinois directly via Merchants bridge and Gratiot Tower. All other ex-Wabash trains entered St. Louis via Merchants bridge and then circled around the west side of St. Louis on the TRRA via Delmar Station to serve suburban Delmar. To the north (this view is looking east) is TRRA Alco S-2 571, one of a fleet the TRRA used for switching duties in and around St. Louis. The Frisco units are backing into St. Louis Union Station to take the Will Rogers out at 8:30am. The N&W (Wabash) sometimes kept units parked where the two blue N&W Geeps are in the distance. The two Geeps are probably going to go out with the City of Kansas City at 9:15am. The Wabash E-unit barely visible at top left is almost assuredly coupled to another unit itself and will most likely be handling the combined Blue Bird/ Cannon Ball leaving at 9:10am for Decatur. (Jim Boyd photo, Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Map This Akron, Canton & Youngstown map is from the October 1964 Official Guide, but it is unchanged from the 1940s — the date at the bottom of the map is January 13, 1944, so the map appeared in Official Guides unchanged for many years. (Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Map The Pittsburgh & West Virginia, part of “The Alphabet Route,” had this map in its 1960 Annual Report. This short line contributed 132 miles of track to the new N&W system. (Ed Painter collection)
  Photo The AC&Y's small roster was entirely Alco and F-M units. It had nine 2,000-horsepower F-M H-20-44s (500– 508). The class unit displays the standard yellow-and-black dress of the pre-merger railroad in July 1966. (Jim Boyd photo, Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Map This beautiful color map illustrates the proposed operating divisions once the merger was complete. The system was divided into four regions, each with a number of divisions. The former PRR Sandusky line fell in the Scioto Division, headquartered out of Portsmouth, Ohio. The last revision date is nine days before the merger. (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo P&WV’s roster was entirely F-M H-20-44s and H-16-44s, though it had two GP35s on order prior to the merger that ere delivered in N&W dress. In this view H-16-44 93 has a short freight in tow. (R.R. Wallin photo, N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo Nickel Plate GP9 530 is well beyond its usual haunts using the yard lead to switch the Wabash yard in Decatur, Illinois, shortly after the merger. The unit is facing west and the photographer is looking east along the ex-Wabash Chicago–St. Louis/Detroit–Kansas City main line. This is at Wabic (Wabash-Illinois Central) Tower and the north-south tracks in the foreground are IC and PRR. The motive power shuffle has begun. (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo NKP GP30 908, N&W (ex-Wabash) U25B 3529, and Wabash F7A 689 are parked at North Kansas City Yard in North Kansas City, Missouri, on March 19, 1966. Only the line to Omaha reached farther west. (Imre Quastler photo)
  Letter Locomotives weren’t the only thing in transition during the merger. The teletype machines for all the roads involved were busy keeping employees informed on the changes. These two Nickel Plate messages are typical: on September 14–15, 1964, the PRR approval of the Sandusky Line purchase was announced; and on October 15,1964, the way the phones were answered changed. (Chris Manthey collection, courtesy NKPHTS)
  Photo Brand new Wabash GP35 541 is ready for service in Chicago in May 1964, just five months before the merger. The Wabash had eight GP35s, 540–547, that were renumbered 3540–3547 by the N&W after the merger. (Imre Quastler photo)
  Photo The extremely popular F7 (2,341 A’s and 1,467 B’s were sold in the U.S. and Canada) was missing from N&W’s roster because the railroad hung onto steam until after the “covered wagon” production runs were over. As a result the N&W dieselized with first-generation road switchers starting with Alco RS-3s and EMD GP9s. The N&W acquired a healthy portion of F7As (107 total, all from the Wabash) and two F7Bs (also from the Wabash) as a result of the 1964 merger, which also added ex-Wabash trackage in southern Ontario between Detroit and Buffalo, and this became a bastion for the F7s in their latter days because they were built by GMD Limited to Canadian standards. In this view at Tillsonburg, Ontario, about midway between Detroit and Buffalo, F7As 3666 and 3671 bracket ex-Wabash GP9 3453 on a late afternoon westbound in August 1975. This unique N&W paint scheme resulted from painting out the white on the nose and along the flanks, but leaving the gray above, and then adding the N&W logo and lettering. (Jim Boyd photo, Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Photo Three years of service and three thousand added to its number, ex-Wabash GP35 543 has been renumbered 3543 and is now working for the N&W in Chicago on February 5, 1967. (Jim Boyd photo, Kevin EuDaly collection)
  Photo Ex-Wabash GP35 540 has been renumbered 3540 and repainted in full N&W dress at Conneaut, Ohio, in September 1968. The smoke above the unit is from rebuilt Nickel Plate 2-8-4 759 behind the GP35. (Jim Boyd photo, Kevin EuDaly collection)
The Norfolf and Western Beyond the Appalachians / The Sandusky District - Ed Painter; Dave Hyer
  Photo N&W 1108, an Alco C-628, is on a southbound freight meeting EMD SD45 1703 on a northbound freight at Marion, Ohio, on September 10, 1968. (Glenn Anderson photo)
  Photo N&W SD45 1806 with a trailing SD40 heads northbound at Marion, Ohio, passing the old Erie passenger station as it bangs across the diamonds of the Erie Lackawanna and Penn Central on March 3, 1973. (Ed Painter photo)
  Photo GP9 833 leads two SD35s on a northbound coal train at Worthington, Ohio, on June 10, 1973. (Glenn Anderson photo)
  Photo N&W SD45 1814 and SD40-2 6077 begin their trip back to the coalfields as they bring their empty hopper train south out of Bayside Yard in Sandusky, Ohio, in August 1982. (Ed Painter photo)
  Photo AC Tower overlooks the crossings in Marion as N&W 557511 brings up the rear of an empty hopper train heading south toward Columbus and the coal fields beyond in the afternoon on May 10, 1975. The C&O main line is right behind the photographer and the caboose’s trailing truck is on the double-track former Erie main line. The front truck is on the former NYC single-track main. (David Oroszi photo)
Vol. 31, No. 2 April / June 2015  Issue Select