Vol. 27, No. 1 January / March 2011  Issue Select 
Issue Details
Cover Title: The Electric N&W Part 4
Cover Subtitle: A Visit to Richlands
On the Cover: An LC-1 electric locomotive leads an eastbound coal train over Bridge No. 859 about a mile before entering the original single-track Elkhorn Tunnel in this June 1930 scene. A second LC-1 electric locomotive pushes against the caboose to assist the train of 35 loads up the stiffest part of the grade. These bridges and this trackage were retired when the new double-track Elkhorn Tunnel and 5.28 miles of relocated trackage opened to the south on June 26, 1950. The electric locomotives were replaced at that time by N&W’s modern steam locomotives.
Articles In This Issue
Obiturary / Dean A Freytag (1924-2010) - Rick Stone
  Photo Dean Freytag was an influential modeler and N&WHS Member #5. He passed away December 25. (Bill Linson Photo)
The Electric N&W, Part 4: The Glory Years of Electrication - Kevin EuDaly
  Photo The engineer on a LC-2 electric locomotive studies the photographer from his eastbound train in Hale’s Bottom a mile or two west of Bluefield, Virginia. Reportedly, some engineers did not like the electrics because of the noise of the rotating machinery behind the locomotive cab. What appears to be smoke issuing from the tops of these electric locomotives is actually water vapor produced in the liquid rheostats by heat during acceleration to the 14 and 28 mph synchronous locomotive speeds. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo LC-2 2514 pulls its train eastbound over Bridge No. 861, better know as Maybuery Trestle, where Y4a 2092 on Train 85 left the tracks on June 30, 1937, and plunged over 100 feet to the ground below, where the boiler exploded. Three crew members and a pedestrian below were killed. The track barely visible crossing underneath the bridge is the Angle spur. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo This great view of the power plant at Bluestone looking northeast reveals several interesting details. Note the LC-1 chassis on the stub track to the north of the two through inspection house tracks (see diagram on pages 44–45 of The Arrow 26-1, Jan-Feb-Mar 2010). On the delivery track to the north of the inspection building are four empty hoppers and one loaded with coal for the power plant. On the same track in the distance are at least 10 more hoppers, all coal loads. The long building in the foreground has been added since the drawings of the power plant were done in 1916 (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Drawing This grade profile and track chart is dated May 16, 1925. The scale on the track chart has been reproduced accurately at 4,000 feet per inch. The grade profile identifies the various installations of the electrification. According to this chart, the first installment was 29.1 miles from Bluefield to Kimball (apparently the piece between Eckman Yard and Kimball was considered part of the initial installation by whoever drew this chart). This was followed by an extension to Farm that added 9.22 miles. The second extension approved in 1923 included 16.48 miles from Farm to Iaeger. The final extension was proposed from Iaeger to Williamson, as seen in this drawing, but was never built. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo LC-2 electric locomotive 2514 is seen with an eastbound coal drag near Bluefield, Virginia, in June 1930. It is not generally realized that the N&W electrification operated through Virginia for about 5.5 miles west from Bluefield to Flat Top Yard. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Chart This chart shows specific tonnages of various types of service for the years 1925–1932. At the bottom is total tonnages for each year. Tonnage peaked in 1926 at just over 37 million tons, then stayed steady until the effects of the Great Depression were felt in 1930 and 1931. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Drawing This grade profile from February 5, 1926, was updated on May 20, 1932, and includes a tonnage chart for the electrified zone. Obviously, eastbound tonnage far exceeded westbound tonnage because of coal tonnage, and apparently no westbound tonnage was operated by electrics west of Eckman. Note that it includes the average number of trains that were operated over each section. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo This is probably the best photographic view available that shows exactly how the catenary was strung across yards and multiple main line trackage. This view is at the locomotive shop in Bluefield, West Virginia. The maintenance of way cars and the gondola in the foreground are an added bonus that the photographer undoubtedly wasn’t counting on. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo This diagram of a single LC-2 electric locomotive is dated May 26, 1923, and shows one half of an LC-2 locomotive pair. Each LC-2 locomotive unit was 48 feet, 2 1/2 inches long. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo This great view shows the catenary details as the cables round a curve, and shows especially well the way tension was pulled on the main cable with a number of varying length connecting pieces to achieve the curve. The three through tracks on a right-hand curve looking west and the roundhouse in the distance all indicate that this wintery scene is at Eckman, West Virginia. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo This advertisement was for the specific type of wire used in the N&W electrification. It appeared in the Electric Railway Journal in the March 5, 1921 issue. The photograph used in this ad appeared in The Arrow 26-1 on page 40 (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Photo The same photograph in the advertisement at left was used again on the cover of the Electric Railway Journal on April 2, 1921, but this time it has been completely re-worked, dramatized, and colorized. Colorized advertising was almost prohibitively expensive in 1921. The photos in these ads both show the headlights in the original roof top mounts. These were moved to the low mounting position after a crew member was electrocuted in an attempt to clear ice and snow from the headlight on the roof top. (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Photo The photographers in the electric era were enamored with the scene at Switchback, and photographed numerous electric-powered trains there, including this one with LC-2 2515 in charge. The track on the left leading downward to the east is the Angle spur, which will curve under the Maybuery Trestle less than a mile ahead. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo This combination Baldwin and Westinghouse advertisement appeared in the April 28, 1923, issue of the Electric Railway Journal. It pushes the N&W’s alternating current version of electrification for heavy freight service railroading. The photo employed was one of the standard publicity shots taken of the same train at the same time as the photograph that was reproduced in The Arrow, 26-1, on pages 16 and 17, but this one is from a very slightly different angle. (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Photo In a typical “more bang for the buck” advertisement from the January 20, 1923, Electric Railway Journal, Westinghouse touts its electric products by including references to four installations: two for the Pennsylvania Railroad, one for the New Haven, and one for the N&W. The N&W ad copy reads: “Norfolk & Western Ry. 4,000 HP, 382 Ton, 11,000 Volt, Single-Phase, Alternating Current, Double-Cab Locomotives, Heavy Grade Freight Service.” (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Photo Using the same photo that was supplied to Railway Age (and reproduced in the 26-1 issue of The Arrow), this Westinghouse advertisement appeared in the October 13, 1923 edition of the Electric Railway Journal. Westinghouse was advertising and building momentum around heavy main line electrification projects, hoping for more sales as they tried to sway heavy-haul freight railroads into considering electrification. (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Photo Climbing the hills above Maybeury in June 1930, LC-1 2508 has a string of coal loads on the 2 percent climb up to the tunnel at Coaldale. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Chart This chart shows the various mileages under electric operation from 1918 through 1933. This covers all the major extensions. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo LC-1 electric locomotive 2504 is running caboose light at Falls Mills, Virginia, after pushing a train into Bluefield on August 7, 1947. This locomotive had been in service over 30 years by this time. (August Thieme, Jr., photo, N&WHS Collection)
  Photo This eastbound LC-1 electric locomotive near Bluestone, West Virginia, must be relatively new because the headlight has not been relocated below the end platform and the number boards have not been relocated below the roof and angled. Also, the “Norfolk and Western” name board and the locomotive number board have not been applied to the sides of the locomotive. What became Class LC-1 was originally designated Class C. Likewise, Class LC-2 was originally designated Class C-2. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
Railroad Enginners Meet in Chicago / Electric Railway Journal, April 2, 1921 - Unknown Unknown
Electric Traction on Heavy Traffic Lines / Electric Railway Journal, January 28, 1922 - Unknown Unknown
  Drawing These five basic traction systems represent the state of the art in 1922. From top to bottom: 1) direct axle-geared drive; 2) single motor gear and quill drive; 3) Twin motor gear and quill drive; 4) rod drive with gearIess motor (Pennsylvania passenger locomotives); and 5) gear and side-rod drive (Norfolk & Western locomotives). (Electric Railway Journal, 2/28/1922)
Some Service Records of Electrical Equipment / A List of Unusual Things Accomplished by Railroads with Electric Motive Power - Homer K Smith
Electrification Largely a Financial Problem / Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Co. Electric Railway Journal, May 19, 1923 - W R Stinemetz
N&W Electrification Has Contributed Notably to Knowledge in This Field / Electric Railway Journal, August 11, 1923 - Unknown Unknown
A Decade of the N&W Electrification / Electric Railway Journal, August 11, 1923 - Unknown Unknown
A Visit to Richlands on the Clinch Valley Line - Paul Mandelkern
  Photo N&W passenger train number 5 stops at Richlands in the late 1950s. (Alvin L. Schultze photo, David P. Oroszi collection)
  Map This N&W map appeared in the June 1891 Traveler’s Official Guide of the Railways (later the “Traveler’s” was dropped). By 1891 most of the “core” N&W lines were in and were part of the system. The line to Norton was complete to the connection with the L&N, and Richlands (highlighted in yellow on the inset at left) was one of 15 stations along the route between Bluefield and Norton. (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Photo This view shows the N&W coal wharf at Richlands looking west in 1917. This same structure can be seen in the view on the opening photograph for this article on the previous pages. Both views show the elevated track with loaded coal hoppers positioned at the ready to load coal into tenders. In this view, the Richlands station is just back over the photographer’s right shoulder (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo The narrow gauge train is carrying shale to the Richlands Brick Company (Gaynelle Thompson collection)
  Photo In March 1975 N&W GP18 934 leads a coal train eastbound out of Richlands along the Clinch River. (Everett N. Young photo)
  Photo N&W U30B 1944 leads a train through Richlands in October 1978. (Everett N. Young photo)
  Photo The same power is in Richlands in October 1978, and consists of U30B 1944, GP38 4141, GP30 547, and GP9s 749 and 802. The units are returning to their train. (Everett N. Young photo)
  Timetable The passenger section for the Clinch Valley Line from the June 1891 Official Guide shows an un-numbered westbound arriving at Richlands at 2:36pm and the eastbound at 5:58am on the return. The date at the top of the column (May 24, 1891) is the date that this schedule went into effect, and passenger service only went as far west as St. Paul. (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Timetable The November 1932 Official Guide had this schedule from October 1, 1932, in place. It had westbound Train 5 at Richlands at 9:15am and eastbound Train 6 at 4:50pm. The train obviously laid over in Norton from noon until its 1:55pm departure time. (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Timetable By the April 1944 Official Guide the schedule is slightly different, with westbound Train 5 at Richlands at 10:32am and the eastbound Train 6 at 6:15pm. The Norton layover is now from 1:20pm to 3:30pm. The symbol to the right of the station name indicates that Richlands was a telegraph station. (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Timetable Westbound Train 5 and eastbound Train 6 have been adjusted to 12:06pm and 7:00pm, respectively, in this timetable from the December 1950 Official Guide. The “+” symbol indicates that Richlands was a coupon station (meaning it could sell interline tickets using multiple coupons). (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Timetable The writing is not only on the wall for passenger service at Richlands, it was in the Official Guide, too. The April edition shows that April 4 is shown as the last day of operation for trains 5 and 6, scheduled to be in Richlands at 11:51am and 6:05pm, respectively. On April 5, 1959, Richlands will become one of a growing number of towns all across the country without passenger train service. (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Timetable The May 1959 Official Guide shows the Clinch Valley Line as freight only. The freight schedule is from the January 1968 edition. (Kevin EuDaly Collection)
  Photo The Jewell Ridge Coal Corporation Power Plant was photographed on November 3, 1933 (VPI&SU Collection)
  Photo This undated view (probably from the 1910s or 1920s judging by the automobile behind the station) shows the east end of Richlands station, as well as the south side facing the tracks. The end of one hopper car on the coal wharf can be seen at the very left edge of the photo. (VPI&SU Collection)
  Photo This undated view shows the spur track into the old Richlands Brick Company. (Gaynelle Thompson collection)
  Photo The section foreman’s house was just east of the Big Creek Branch wye in Richlands. This structure is still standing in Richlands today. (Gaynelle Thompson collection)
  Drawing This drawing from February 7, 1923, shows the layout of the yard and wye at Richlands (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo This aerial view of Richlands was taken about 1957. The view is looking northwest with the Richlands station out of the photograph at the lower right beyond the coal wharf tracks. The wye leads to the Big Creek branch. (N&WHS Archives Collection)
  Photo N&W SD45 1754 is parked in Richlands during a snowstorm, just before Thanksgiving in 1977. It’s coupled to a D&H GE unit, and on the next track over is an Alco. (Everett N. Young photo)
  Photo N&W SD45 1727, C30-7 8071, and one of the maroon C30-7s lead an eastbound train passing the Big Creek Branch wye near downtown Richlands in1978. (Sidney P. Vaught photo)
  Photo N&W SD35 1567 leads two SD45s on a westbound east of Richlands in 1978. (Sidney P. Vaught photo)
Book Review: / Billion Dollar Coalfield - Ed Painter
Tied to the Past: / Operation Lifesaver in 2006 - Kevin EuDaly
  Photo Dale and Judy Jenkins pose in front of Operation Lifesaver GP59 4638 in Lafayette, Indiana. Dale was still an NS special agent at the time, and in 2010 Judy passed her exams and become an official engineer. One of her early “runs” was behind the throttle of a Respondek SD40-2 painted in full Illinois Terminal livery. (Kevin EuDaly)
  Photo Power for the Operation Lifesaver train was spic-and-span GP59 4638. Behind the power were two cars. Key guests and members of the press were each allowed a stint in the cab (Kevin EuDaly)
  Photo The Powhatan Arrow lettering on the trailing car was a spectacular throwback to one of N&W’s most famous named trains. (Kevin EuDaly)
Vol. 27, No. 1 January / March 2011  Issue Select