Vol. 20, No. 6 November / December 2004  Issue Select 
Issue Details
Cover Title: From Bluefield to Bellevue, The western end of the original N&W is still alive today
Cover Subtitle: Pocahontas Division Passenger Trains after 1946
On the Cover: NS SD70 #2523 leads a Dash 9 in cat whiskers and an intermodal southbound through Bannon, the approach to Watkins Yard in Columbus, Ohio on a sunny morning, 6/7/2004.
Articles In This Issue
Steam, Cinders, Smoke, and Fire / A 7 year old's best day ever, a personal memory - Charles Stebbins
  Photo The author (left) at 7... ... and the father who gave him the memory of a lifetime.
From Bluefield to Bellevue / Exploring the N&W's west end as it appears today - Charles "Bucky" H. Wilson, Jr.
  Photo Classic CPLs stand proud as they oversee the well-preserved Peavine just west of Portsmouth (Charles H. Wilson Jr. Photo)
  Photo The business end of a work train in the small yard at Naugatuck, WV on a beautiful afternoon 6/10/2004. (Charles H. Wilson Jr. Photo)
  Photo Caboose C32P #555055, still in NW lettering, rests in front of Bluefield Locomotive Ship on a sunny Friday morning, 6/11/2004. (Charles H. Wilson Jr. Photo)
  Photo Conrail SD60M, CSX #779, splits the signals as it leads a hot intermodal train past one of Eddie Durnwald's favorite photo locations... the passenger platform in front of the old B&O station Fostoria on 6/8/2004. (Charles H. Wilson Jr. Photo)
  Map Topographical map of the Portsmouth, Oh area (DeLorme)
  Map Topographical map of the Bellevue, OH area (DeLorme)
  Photo Eddie Durnwald and Bob Bowers are mesmerized by the constant activity from Fostoria Tower as they gaze out into the iron triangle. (Charles H. Wilson Jr. Photo)
  Photo The highway bridge over 5th Ave. in Columbus leading to Joyce Yard clear shows its Norfolk and Western heritage. (Charles H. Wilson Jr. Photo)
  Photo The N&W freight station in Fremont. When anything comes into view that still says "Norfolk and Western", it gets its picture taken! (Charles H. Wilson Jr. Photo)
  Photo Wheeling and Lake Erie SD40-2 #4018, without dynamic brakes, stands ready in the yard in Toledo on a rainy afternoon, 6/9/2004 (Charles H. Wilson Jr. Photo)
  Photo SOO Line SD60 #6033 and CP Rail SD40 #5765 lead a CSX GE 6 axle unit in Toledo (Charles H. Wilson Jr. Photo)
  Photo Conrail C40-8 #8482 stands with a dead traction motor in front of C39-8 still sub lettered NW. Four other units are attached near Attica Junction; the train is facing southbound on the northbound track heading toward Columbus, and is awaiting a maintenance crew for repairs. (Charles H. Wilson Jr. Photo)
N&W Freight Car Roster: 1953 / Part 18 in a continuing series - James F. Brewer
  Photo N&W #40319 is one of the USRA single sheathed cars that received heavy repairs in order to continue its service life on the railway. Originally built by Pullman, N&W originally received 800 of this standard design. These cars arrived on the property with grab iron ladders on the sides and ends. (Bob's Photos)
  Photo N&W #70111 began life as a Class BL or Class BLa boxcar. It was converted to a Class SK stock car and was used to haul livestock, bricks and railroad ties. Eventually, some of the SK cars were converted to haul coke. Note that the wood slatted sides have been replaced and door opening boarded up from the inside. The stenciling to the left of the doorway says "OPEN TOP CAR FOR COKE SERVICE ONLY". (Paul Dunn Photo, Richard J. Burg Collection)
  Table 13 column table listing attributes of each class of freight car on roster (author)
Nuggets from the Archives / The very best nugget - Gordon Hamilton
  Photo David Stephenson and Ralph Coleman sort "F" size drawings for filing after the drawings had been entered previously into the archives computerized database. The coarsely bound books on the shelves behind them are N&W Ry. valuation files documenting the work done by the railroad pursuant to the requirements of the Federal Railroad Valuation Act of 1913.
  Photo Louie Newton looks up a drawing number using the N&W Motive Power Department's original index card file of passenger, freight and locomotive drawings. The books on the shelf above are the original drawings number assignment and drawing revision books for both the N&W and the Virginian. Some of the notations in these books were made by N&W draftsmen over one hundred years ago!
  Photo David Stephenson and President Jim Gillum examine some of the thousands of color slides in the archives.
  Photo Hillary Smith searches a Virginian equipment record book for retirement dates.
  Photo Ron Davis at one of the four computer terminals in the Archives. Ron developed and maintains the software for the archives' computerized inventory database. He also maintains the NWHS Mail List electronic bulletin board.
  Photo Larry Hill watches a drawing being fed through the digitizing scanner. The digital scan of the drawing will be fed to the computer in front of Larry where it can be forwarded to the full-size printer that can barely be seen just beyond Larry and/or stored for future printing. Once scanned, a drawing may never need to be pulled from the filing cabinet again.
  Photo Jim Blackstock finds some interesting material in the storage room in the rear one-third of the archives building (the storage material here is in addition tot he storage material being transferred from the "brown" building to the "Charley's" building). The material here was classified when it was placed on the shelves, but it has not been closely examined. Anybody want to volunteer for the monthly archives work sessions to help discover what treasures these boxes may contain?
  Photo Bob Bowers in his office at the archives. If you order something from our society's Commissary, the order comes in here, and Bob will see that the ordered items are mailed out promptly.
  Photo Not all of the work at the archives is inside. Andrew Williamson helps maintain the grounds in good shape. When three members volunteered last season to do the ground maintenance in lieu of a lawn service, it reduced our society's expenses.
  Photo President Jim Gillum, Andrew Williamson, Jim Blackstock, and Ralph Coleman work around the problem of a fork truck that was too tall to go into the basement of the "brown" storage building. The pallet fork in the foreground was used to bring filing cabinets to the bottom of the ramp up from the basement. The fork truck then pulled the pallet fork and its load up the ramp by means of a chain hooked between the two. Finally, the fork truck would pick up the load and take it to the "Charley's" storage building.
  Photo Ralph Coleman and Andrew Williamson use a hand truck to move a four-drawer filing cabinet out the "brown" storage building for the fork truck to pick up and place in "Charley's".
  Photo President Jim Gillum operates the fork truck and Jim Blackstock assists in moving a filing cabinet from the "brown building" storage to the "Charley's" building storage.
  Photo President Jim Gillum operates a fork truck placing a filing cabinet in the newly rented "Charley's" storage building. Attendees at the National Convention in July will remember that the slide show at the archives was held in this space.
The Tennessean / Pocahontas Division passenger trains after 1946 - James Nichols
  Photo This postcard from the 1930's clearly shows the "passenger loop" which bisected downtown Welch, WV. The large brick facility in the bottom center is the passenger station. The lenghty passenger shed in front from removed in the early 1950s. (Jarrell Greever Collection)
  Photo This photo was taken in that brief period after N&W dieselized, but before the removal of the mid-town loop.The two main business streets of Welch were blocked 6 times a day for many years to allow N&W passenger trains to pass. (Steve Hutchison)
  Timetable This timetable from January of 1957 shows the Arrows arrived in Welch 55 minutes apart. (Jarrell Greever Collection)
  Photo The Powhatan Arrow with a Geep in the lead makes its mid-afternoon station stop in Welch around 1959. The days where numbered for both the track through town and the station itself. (Steve Hutchison)
  Photo The westbound Powhatan Arrow, with leased E-units in charge, leaves the passenger loop and enters the mainline at Tug Tower in Welch. The year is 1958, and the J's are gone. (Steve Hutchison)
  Photo In 1960, the N&W agreed to dismantle the "passenger loop" through Welch. What few passengers were left by this time could easily be served by a much smaller facility on the main line, just east of the Welch tunnel. The above photos depict the sad demise of the famed loop. (Steve Hutchison)
"Takin' Twenty" with the Virginian Brethren - Skip Salmon
N Scale News / Atlas' BK Boxcar - Frank Gibson
DVD Review / Norfolk and Western Steam in the 1950s - Jarrell Greever
Vol. 20, No. 6 November / December 2004  Issue Select