Vol. 14, No. 4 July / August 1998  Issue Select 
Issue Details
Cover Title: Markers
Cover Subtitle: Everything you always wanted to know about Markers but were afraid to ask
On the Cover: We're looking at the long-hood end of brand new GP-35 #236, showing the built-in combination class/marker lamps used on all of the later EMD units. The small lever at the bottom of each lamp housing was moved to one side for red lenses, the other for green. In the center position as shown, no colored lenses were in place.
Articles In This Issue
Observation / Another Giant step for our Society - Jarrell Greever
Cover Story: Classy(Y) Markers / Classification lamps and markers explained - Thomas D. Dressler
  Photo The N&W Y-4's were the only engines to have the extended "bug-eye" class lamp brackets as shown here on Class Y4 #2082 at Clare, Ohio. Also note in this instance, two types of lamps are in use: the older fan-based Adlake on the firemans side, and the later Pyle National on the other. These lamps were hinged near the base to facilitate bulb changes. (Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
  Photo The Pennsy was different from most railroads (in ways both good and bad). They carried both classification and marker lamps on the front of their steam engines. The upper lamps were the class lamps with clear and green lenses available. The similar lamps on the pilot deck were markers for backwards running and had red and yellow lenses. (Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
  Photo Class Y3 #2002 shows the more common N&W steam engine application with dual "gravity" or "drop-in" brackets high on the smokebox front. These lamps had flip-down green lenses inside. The front number plate from the 2002 now rest in the author's railroad room in the form of a what-not table. (Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
  Photo N&W's streamlined K's, J's and Jawn Henry carried the bullet-shaped class lamps high on the smokebox sides. The lamps where chrome-plated to match the fancy trim of the locomotives. (N&W Photo / Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
  Photo Unlike the N&W which used separate lamps and number boards, the Lehigh Valley and many other roads carried a combination class lamp/illuminated number board assembly at the upper sides of the smokebox. This locomotive, so ugly it was almost pretty in bright red and black with white and stainless teel trim, was one the streamlined 4-6-2's which pulled the John Wilkes passenger trains on the LV. (M. D. McCarter Photo)
  Photo N&W's electric engines carried an early style combination class/marker lamp since they were used on the the head end and as pushers. This lamp shows plainly just in front of the fireman's face at the corner of the box cab. Later, the "juice jacks" carried the Pyle National type lamps. (N&W Photo / Charles Schlotthober Collection)
  Photo N&W's Alco RS-3's carried their class and marker lamps on "bug-eyed" brackets similar to those used on the Y-4 steam engines. The rest of the N&W diesel fleet had built-in combination class/marker lamps. Note the steam-era lettering. (N&W Photo / Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
  Photo N&W's very first EMD diesel-electric unit, GP-9 #10 delivered in September, 1955, show the older-style built-in class/marker lamps just above the illuminated number board. These lamps where difficult to see from straight on and both colors and bulbs had to be changed from inside. Introduction of the GP-30's to the N&W brought the outside-accessible combination lamp assembly. (N&W Photo / Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
  Photo These "lantern-style" markers were coal-oil fueled, and used on both cabooses and, quiet unfittingly, on passenger trains. They were painted bright yellow for ease of visibility. While they look right at home in the left photo, the seem terribly out of place on the beautiful boat-tail observation of the Powhatan Arrow. (N&W Photos / Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
  Photo Brand new C-30-7 #8043 shows the GE version of the built-in combination class/marker lamp. This lamp was also equipped with the bottom lever to change the colors. The rim was much smaller than those on the EMD units and the bulbs were more difficult to change. (Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
The Elkhorn Tunnel: 3 / Electrification! Last of a series - Robert Harvey
  Photo Show here is Extra 2505, a typical electric-powered coal train: around 32 cars with an electric pusher behind the caboose. A number of publicity shots of electric-power trains where taken at this spot, call Switchback; so named because of the branch line on the left which switched off the main line and led to a number of coal operations along the upper part of Elkhorn Creek. The building on the hillside is the Switchback powerhouse of Appalachian Power Company; there was no electrical connection between it and the railroad. April 1929 is the date printed on the back of this official N&W photo, but another company record says it's 1915; the latter date is more likely. (Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
  Photo Here was the heart of the electrification system: N&W's powerhouse at Bluestone, WV, with ten boilers, three generators and a rated electrical output of 27,000 kilowatts. The locomotives were service in the brick building next to the main line. The view is to the west, the vantage point is bridge 850 over the Bluestone River, and the date of the photo is likely 1916 or 1917. (VPI&SU Collection)
  Photo D-Y Tower at Dry Fork Junction sits inside the wye; part of the town of Iaeger is in the background. This view is looking railroad east. The track switching off to the right is the west leg of the wye. On the other side of the girder bridge is Auville Yard and the beginning of the Dry Fork Branch. This point was less than a mile from the west end of the electrified section. The picture was taken by John W. Barriger, III, a job-hopping, high-profile railroad executive who ended a distinguished career as president of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad. Between 1933 and 1941, he was head of the government's Reconstruction Finance Committee, and this picture probably dates back to that period. (Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
  Drawing These official motive power department drawings are filled with facts about the two classes of electric engines. The articulation hinge is plainly shown for the older model, the LC1. The redesigned LC2 was around 39% heavier and 36% more powerful than the LC1, yet it was shorter by 8-1/2 feet. (Thomas D. Dressler Collection)
A Diesel Workhorse / The C-39-8 - Robert G. Bowers
  Photo NS C-39-8 #8565 (Bob Bower Collection)
  Drawing C39-8 drawing with specs (Bob Bowers Collection)
  Photo NS C-39-8 #8550 (Bob Bowers Collection)
Tales from the Front / Memories of Williamson - Harry G. Booth
  Photo The Williamson Yard, around 1930. (VPI&SU Collection)
  Sidebar Here is the text from the article in the Williamson Daily News, describing the events of the wreck in which the author's father tragically lost his life.
What's New in N-Scale / A Boxcar & Hopper for you layout - Frank Gibson
Building the VGN Battleship Gon / Creating the Virginian's signature car - William Mosteller
  Photo This is the builder's photo for the prototype/experimental G-4, from the 1920 Pressed Steel Car Company catalog. One ten of the 500 G-4 cars received trucks of this Lamont design. The 500 cars in the G-3 class had bodies which were basically the same as this, main difference being in the center sill design. The as-built G-4 cars received Buckeye trucks, as shown below. (Photos from Martin E. Swartz Collection)
  Photo This is the G-4 after the class was rebuilt in 1937-1937. The drop-center was removed primarily because of corrosion problems. (Photos from Martin E. Swartz Collection)
View from the Cab / The night I "shined" a VW - Thomas D. Dressler
Virginian Local / The Inspection of Nineteen-ought-Nine - Martin E. Swartz
Current News / What's happening in today's railroading - Robert G. Bowers
Audio Review / Winston Link's 'Fading Giant' on CD - David R. Stephenson
Video Review / Hooters on Blue Ridge - Jarrell Greever
Vol. 14, No. 4 July / August 1998  Issue Select