Vol. 28, No. 4 October / December 2012  Issue Select 
Issue Details
Cover Title: Modeler: The Station at Stanley
Cover Subtitle: 755th Battalion & Rails Remembered - Chapter 79
On the Cover:
Articles In This Issue
The N&W / Virginian Modeler / Modeling the Station at Stanley - James F. Brewer
  Photo This is the first station built at Stanley. Constructed by the Shenandoah Valley Railroad, it was of their standard design. Note the shed and stock pens next to the station. (James F. Brewer collection)
  Photo  (James F. Brewer collection)
  Photo These two stations feature similar design and construction as the first station at Stanley. Both were located on the Shenandoah Valley Railroad near what would become N&W Mile Post R114 and R102 respectively. (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo A railroad station was critically important to a community in the early 1900s, arguably more important to them than the internet is to us today. The new station is having the finishing touches put in place to ready it for service to the people of Stanley. (James F. Brewer collection)
  Drawing This N&W drawing provides a complete description of the dimensions and purpose of each room. Although perhaps considered Spartan, it was nonetheless extremely functional. (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo The station at Montvale is of the same design, although a mirror image, as the second station built at Stanley. (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo  (H. W. Rouse photo, James F. Brewer collection)
  Drawing Two drawings of the station, showing elevations and plan view. (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo The final station built at Stanley was to the revised standard plan adopted by the N&W in the mid-1910s. This structure would serve the railway for many years until it was razed. (James F. Brewer collection)
  Photo  (James F. Brewer model and photo)
  Photo  (James F. Brewer photo)
  Photo One of the pleasant surprises in August 1986 was finding this N&W right-of-way marker. (James F. Brewer photos)
A Soldier's Story / Part 4 from the N&W-Sponsored 755th Railway Shop Battalion, WWII - Frank Gibson; Jim Skaggs
  Drawing  (Jim Skaggs collection)
  Photo  (Jim Skaggs collection)
  Photo The 755th English Channel crossing to Utah Beach, Normandy, France, was photographed in August, 1944. (Jim Skaggs photo)
  Photo The 755th quarters in Rennes, France, in 1944. (Glenn Huntsman photo)
  Photo This is the 755th shop site in Rennes, France, in 1944. (Jim Skaggs photo)
  Photo 755th quarters in Namur, Belgium, in 1945. (Jim Skaggs photo)
  Photo The 755th gets a rest break at the shop site in Namur, Belgium, in 1945. (Glenn Huntsman photo)
  Photo This German Class 50 locomotive 1436 (2-10-0) was the first captured and brought to Herbesthal, Belgium. It arrived in 1945 for the 755th to repair. With the swastika is Capt. Glenn Huntsman, battalion dentist, in the foreground. (Glenn Huntsman collection)
  Photo The Herbesthal locomotive shop as it appeared in 1945. (Glenn Huntsman photo)
  Photo This awards ceremony occurred in Namur, Belgium, in 1945, with U.S. Army Transportation Corps and local civilian leadership on hand, just behind the battalion insignia. In the bottom photo the full 755th battalion faced the flat car stage. (Glenn Huntsman collection, two photos)
  Map  (Jim Skaggs collection)
  Table This is the final operational statistical report, showing 657 locomotive repairs and 4566 car repairs in Belgium. (Jim Skaggs collection)
  Photo Jim Skaggs with his great-grandson, Julian Butler. (Deborah Skaggs photo)
Rails Remembered - Chapter 79 / The Air Conditioned City and the Flow of Coal - Louis M. Newton
  Photo  (Courtesy William E. Honeycutt)
  Photo  (N&W Magazine, April, 1949)
  Drawing This mechanical drawing shows piping from the power house across East Yard tracks in Bluefield to supply heat to old division office building and company dwellings as of October 1929. The new office building built in 1949 was immediately north of the old building. The piping continued in use for many years. The drawing also shows the location of the roundhouse and other mechanical facilities. (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Table Clinchfield Trains at St. Paul
  Drawing This is the track profile of Alnwick Hill, the ruling grade between Williamson and Iaeger. The grade of 0.4 percent with a short stretch of 0.7 percent and heavy curvature made this somewhat of a troublesome spot for eastbound tonnage trains. (N&W Pocahontas Division track chart, Louis M. Newton collection)
  Photo  (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Table Speed Checks Near MP N-383, September 22, 1955
  Drawing  (Louis M. Newton)
  Drawing  (Louis M. Newton)
  Drawing  (N&WHS Archives collection)
  Chart N&W traffic in 1955, particularly coal, showed a sharp increase over 1954, as seen in this chart. (N&W Magazine, January, 1956, N&WHS Archives collection)
  Photo Louisville & Nashville Pacific 161 was built at South Louisville Shops about 1906 as a Class K-1, and was later rebuilt as a K-2a. This photograph is at Norton. N&W Milepost N-466 is at extreme right, with Hotel Norton in the background. Part of Union Station is visible at extreme left. The exact date is unknown, but the 161 was retired in 1947. L&N passenger service from Pineville, Kentucky, to Norton via Cumberland Gap continued until 1952. (Ron Flanary collection)
  Photo Near the closing days of steam, L&N M-1 1955 leaves the yard at Loyall, Kentucky, heading north to Corbin. Traffic moved south from Loyall via Hagans Tunnel to Norton. Although grimy in appearance, the 1955 was still a good performer. (C. K. Marsh, Jr., photo, courtesy Ron Flanary)
  Photo  (Louis M. Newton collection)
Vol. 28, No. 4 October / December 2012  Issue Select